Email & Online Banking Security Tips
First Choice Credit Union members may be aware of scam emails relating to the Internet Banking services of some financial institutions. Fraudulent E-mails asserting to be from financial institutions or other legitimate businesses have been sent to random E-mail addresses in the hope that they will find account holders of that financial institution.
These E-mails generally request the account holder to provide their name, account details passwords and or/ PIN by entering the details on a specifically designed web page. It may also state that this is to be done for security reasons to guard against fraud.
First Choice Credit Union will, never under any circumstances, send emails of this nature requesting your password/PIN or account details. The following steps will assist in ensuring safe and confidential Internet Banking:
- Do not go to the web site of any financial institution from a link contained within an E-mail
- Always log in directly from your Internet browser. This way you will avoid being sent to a false site.
- Check for the padlock symbol at the bottom right corner of your browser.
- Only enter First Choice’s Internet Banking by typing in our address, then add it to your list of favourite internet sites. When you want to get to the web site again use the Favourites menu. It will be quicker and safer.
- After finishing your internet session always end by using the LOGOUT function, rather than just closing the application down.